The AAHCI Student Leadership Initiative (ASLI) invites students of academic health centers to submit proposals sharing new ideas or innovative programs tackling key topics in health professions education.
In partnership with the AAHCI Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Regional Office host, University of Sao Paulo Medical School (FMUSP), AAHCI supports this Initiative in the LAC region.
2022 ASLI: The Convergence of Climate Change and Health Professions Education
ASLI 2022 focused on student innovative approaches to the convergence of climate change, healthcare, and health professions education. Specifically, students were invited to share proposals that highlight new ideas or existing innovative programs or studies that achieve at least one of the following:
- Inspires research and innovation in healthcare in response to the impact of climate change on the environment (e.g., tropical diseases)
- Addresses the health effects of climate change as it relates to patient care
- Encourages academic health centers to reduce their environmental impact
The submissions below received top marks, and the student authors presented their concepts at the 2022 AAHCI LAC Regional Meeting:
- Faculdade das Américas: Using a Database to Measure and Understand the Influence of Climate Change on Disease Statistics in Brazil
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana: Building Latina America’s Future Healthcare Workforce: Climate and Health Integration into a Medical Competency-Based Curriculum
- TecSalud Monterrey: Policymaking Experience to Address Health Effects of Climate Change
Finalists were announced in a press release and a compendium with all abstracts submitted by participating institutions was published.
Several finalists and student groups presented their work in a virtual 2022 AAHCI Student
Leadership Initiative Ignite! Talks session. View the recording.
AAHCI invites members who are interested in sponsoring the AAHCI Student Leadership Initiative in their region on a topic relevant to academic health to be in touch
2021 ASLI: Virtual Medical Education
AAHCI, in partnership with the AAHCI Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Regional Office host, University of Sao Paulo Medical School (FMUSP), is supporting this initiative in the LAC region - the first region to launch the initiative - and invited medical students from member institutions in the LAC region to submit proposals sharing innovative ideas on virtual medical education.
The AAHCI LAC Regional Office announced the first call for proposals on Virtual Medical Education in the LAC region in November 2020. The participating AAHCI institutions in the LAC region include:
- Clínica Universidad de La Sabana (Colombia)
- Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu – Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP) (Brazil)
- TecSalud, Tecnologico de Monterrey (Mexico)
- Universidad del Rosario (Colombia)
- University of Sao Paulo Medical School (FMUSP) (Brazil)
The following student submissions received top remarks and were selected to present their ideas at the AAHC 2021 Global Innvoation Forum (GIF):
- TecSalud Monterrey: Submission on Frontiers in Global Health
- Universidad de la Sabana: Submission on How COVID 19 helped us Discover New Resources in Medical Education
- University of Sao Paulo: Submission on MEDnasNUVENS - Optimized Medical Education Model
- University of Sao Paulo: Submission on Bringing Teachers and Students Together in the COVID-19 Pandemic
Finalists were announced in a press release here and a compendium with all abstracts submitted by participating institutions is being published.