Academic health centers engage in research-related activities to varying degrees, depending on their size and intended mission balance.
For many institutions, research constitutes the largest portion of their annual expenditures. Thus, the challenges facing the research enterprise can have major financial and organizational implications for academic health centers.
Challenges to the Research Mission
These challenges include, but are not limited to:
- Accurately tracking the true all-in cost of research to assure informed decision-making regarding research-related resource allocation.
- Seeking new sources of research funding support in light of the erosion of traditional primary funding sources.
- Coordination of clinical and research mission interaction to optimize administrative efficiency and billable cost recovery.
- Exploring alternate employment paradigms to maximize research efficiency and effectiveness.
- Benchmarking research mission performance relative to peer institutions.